Monday, April 6, 2009

Gardening!

This weekend, my husband and I traveled to Gettysburg. His sister and her husband now live there. So a few times a year we visit. Mostly because we like to play golf. On Sunday it was a balmy sixty-five. Monday we returned home to cold rain and the possibility of snow.

Somehow that doesn't seem fair!

Aside from basking in the sun, we noticed all the blooming things on my sister-in-law's side of the state. I got very excited because this means it is time for me to buy my tomato plants.

Anyone who knows me knows I love all things tomato. I especially love fresh tomatoes. So a few years ago I began experimenting with growing my own. The first year I gave all my tomatoes names and then couldn't eat them when they finally ripened. Who could eat a Fred or George? Especially since they were sad looking tomatoes -- thin and lopsided -- who didn't deserve ... well, to be chopped up and put into a salad.

Last year, I put only one tomato plant in each pot. (These are huge pots I have on my back deck...they double as decorations.) Anyway, with only one tomato plant to a pot, my plants grew quickly. Tomatoes immediately sprouted. Unfortuntely, they weren't red. They were ... gold. I don't know why, but this particular tomato lover was not interested in a tomato the color of squash.

So this year, I have to be more careful. There will still be only one plant per pot, but this year I'll check the tomato type. I'm looking for big red tomatoes.

If anybody has the name of a brand, I'd appreciate it!

I'd actually like to eat one of the tomatoes I grow.

Today is my son's birthday. I won't tell you his age; he'd kill me. He doesn't really like me talking about him too much online. LOL But suffice to say I'm happy to be getting dinner out tonight.

I'm thinking I'll get a big salad. Probably all that talk of tomatoes!

Only about eight weeks until MAID IN MONTANA is released. It's a great beach read!


susan

No comments: