Monday, June 4, 2012

Was ... Little Word Big Problem

I know. I know. We all use was. I use was. But lately it's been jumping out at me when I'm reading. Especially when I'm reading descriptions. Was might as well be wearing bells and flashing red lights that's how much it stands out when I'm reading.

Same deal with felt.

Same deal with thought.

I'm driving myself nuts in my own writing trying to keep them out because they screw up deep point of view. And I love deep point of view. I love writing with deep point of view if only because, let's face it, it takes fewer words to say, "Heat shimmied through her" than "She felt heat shimmy through her." But when reading, deep point of view literally makes you the characters.

And as a reader I just love that.

I don't think anybody should be shot for using was or felt or thought or decided...because then I'd have to be shot because I'm sure they still sneak into my work. And there are times when was is the only word you can use! There are times when thought or felt or decided also are necessary.

But those of you who began writing after Deep Point of View became popular are lucky.

Anyway, that's it for today.

Just a little something to think about.

susan

No comments: