Monday, May 20, 2013

Keeping Perspective


Have you ever noticed how many times in your writing life things crop up that tempt you to stop or flee from writing or just plain not write at all that day?

Sometimes it's the old... But I'm not sure what to write.
Sometimes it's...I have dishes to do.
Sometimes it's...I don't feel like writing.
Sometimes it's...I need a break. Just today. I swear I'll get back to it tomorrow.

I don't care why you procrastinate or what you call it (like a break) procrastination is procrastination and it ruins careers.

So how do you handle this?

If you're not sure what to write, check your could, might, must and should list. If you wrote down all those scenes and scene possibilities popping around in your head when you first got your idea, there's something on that list that could jumpstart your imagination. If you didn't write a could (happen), might (happen), must (happen) and should (happen) list for your story...do one now. :)

Second, dishes? Really? That would keep you from writing? If you must do dishes then use that time to think about what you'll write when you're done. :)

You just don't feel like writing? Read what you wrote yesterday. Or go back an entire chapter and read your wonderful prose, see your fantastic characters interacting. That usually puts my head in the game again. Once I get into the story, I don't want to come out. I want to write.

Finally... You need a break?  This one I might give you if you can tell me a really good reason you need a break. Maybe you worked twelve hours straight the day before, you edited, you got fifty new pages written and now your brain is empty. If so...take a break.

But if you're just wimping out on me...Forget it! Get your butt into that chair.

I had a chat this morning with someone who set a very tough schedule for herself this year. She said, "Susan, am I insane?" and I said... "No. You want to be somebody someday.  All these books you're doing this year will jumpstart your career and boost your readership." And she smiled.

Because that's the truth. The people who work win.

Wanna win? Then work. Don't procrastinate. Don't be easy on yourself or fluff off the hard days. Get your butt into the chair and keep it there! On Friday when you've accomplished your goals, you will thank me.

Happy Monday



No comments: