Monday, October 7, 2013

Do I really think I'm going to grow?

A few months ago, I bought a book by John Maxwell called the 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth. I was happily reading it in bed one night  and it dawned on me...I'm sixty. Do I really think I'm going to grow? Do I even want to grow? Am I too old to grow? How to I want to grow?

And, please, Lord, don't let it be size-wise! LOL

Though I'm a tad (cough, cough) older than most of you, I think those are actually some good questions all of us should be asking ourselves about our careers.

Do I want to grow?

How do I want to grow?

Where do I want to be next year, five years from now, ten years from now...twenty?

Lots of us set goals or make plans or dream dreams about accepting a Rita, or being an NYT bestseller, or even just snagging a publisher or agent...but we don't do anything different or special to make those dreams come true.

What's the saying...if you keep doing what you've always been doing, you'll get what you've always gotten.

So wouldn't it make sense, then, that if you want to be an NYT bestseller...that you should write something different, or write in a different way (perhaps better?), or spend more time writing or shake up your schedule and write before work instead of after... or something? Anything?

Yet most of us don't do anything different. We dream the dreams. We write out the goals but we forget that to get something different, a new result, a BETTER result, we have to do something different, something new, something better.

Lots of times that's learning. Sometimes, it's better time management. Or maybe even just focus. We must focus our energy on that goal or dream or vision.

But no matter which it is...education, time or focus...we have to do something different.

So, today, think about those questions.

Do you want to grow? If so, how? Who do you want to be? What do you want to accomplish?

And what do you have to change to be that person, accomplish that goal?

Happy Reading

susan meier

No comments: