Monday, March 21, 2011

Motivation

Lesson one of the 10-Minute Solution workshop on my website talks about motivation.

I don't think any of us realize how much motivation drives our lives. I laughingly use the example of my weight (and having no motivation to lose so I stay fat) but I'm only joking a little.

I met the editor who bought my first book at a conference. After a short conversation in the hotel lobby, (not an editor appointment) she asked to see my next book.

I raced home from the conference, soooo ready to write that book because I had someone truly willing to look at it.

But what about all those other writers who get requests for manuscripts at conferences? Why don't they race home, finish the book, get it in the mail?

Motivation again.

You see, I was on my "last chance" as a writer. I genuinely believed if that book didn't sell then I wasn't destined to be an author. So with that demon driving me I didn't just race to get the book done for her, I also gave it my best, my all...because if this truly was my shot I was taking it.

If you really, really want to do something you will do it. You will find a way. You will slay the dragons and squeeze out the minutes.

But that's another problem with time management, isn't it? There are some things for which we would slay a dragon but minutes aren't enough...Or are they.

Have you ever tried working on a project in ten minute increments that you could squeeze in throughout the day only to discover you'd acutally accomplished a lot?

So I guess today's time management thought is two fold. Figure out what you really want to do is life and you will motivated to accomplish it. And, second, if you can't seem to find a big bushel of time to accomplish your goals, try looking for little ten minute bites!

susan

No comments: